Thursday 17 April 2008

First attempt - Peter Doherty at the Rhythm Factory, 26.02.08

So the first time I tried filming was Tuesday February 26, 2008 at the Rhythm Factory. That's in Whitechapel, London, England, if you're not from round those parts. It's fairly small, with a capacity of about 400, it's quite dark and I guess it's maybe a bit scruffy, but as a result it's quite homely. It's friendly, the staff are really nice, the sound's good and a load of us go down together and huddle on the pavement having smoking breaks between sets. Or watch sets between smoking breaks, maybe. Or stand around chatting and keep going in to check whether we need to be in there yet. It's one of my favourite places, actually, venuewise.

So this particular night I'd taken my camera on its very first outing. I can be a bit of a perfectionist, which is fairly daft really, all things considered, as I can also be anything but. But I wanted to get absolute perfect footage on my very first attempt, and also to get really good sound - which means standing a fair way back from the stage, to avoid weird reverb thing from the PA, and standing a fair way back tends to mean rather obscured views.

Because Peter isn't the only very tall person at his shows - a whole tribe of other very tall people also turn out, and they tend to stand in front of me. Frequently wearing hats. And however much I try, some of those hats are going to bounce in front of the lens. And a lot of other heads and elbows and shoulders and things. And I'm not that tiny, I'm just quite a long way under 6 foot, but occasionally at gigs I can feel like a very small plant struggling for light in the midst of a very tall forest.

So I kept turning my camera on, filming a bit, losing Peter in the lens, giving up, aiming dark looks at the backs of the forest of tallness in front of me, and trying again. When I got home, although it had been a beautiful gig, I was feeling slightly dispirited at my lack of total abject brilliance on my first attempt at filming, but I captured the video to AVI and started watching it back, after panicking slightly as every 5 minutes of AVI ate up an entire 1GB of hard drive. (It's been WMV all the way since, although I'm planning on getting one of those 1TB external drives very soon, so I can play around with different formats and take the load off my laptop a bit.)

But the footage I'd got looked and sounded pretty good, and the bursts of suddenly obscured vision and consequent random camera movement were actually quite atmospheric, and however annoying some of the crowd chatter during sensitive acousticery could be, there was still something there that was really worth watching and listening to - and at some point while I was doing this, I got hooked. I seem to have learned very early on to make excessive use of the zoom function to try to get around the obstructed view problems, although I'm not quite sure quite how long I took to realise that I could gain a heck of a lot of extra height by standing like the Statue of Liberty and just keeping an eye on my screen. Probably a couple of minutes or so...

Anyway, enough of me wurbling. Here's What A Waster from that night, and yes, sorry, the very beginning is indeed missing.

No comments: